Temptation to sin is something every believer experiences. Our Lord Jesus Christ faced direct temptation from Satan; yet He never yielded to the temptation. (Matthew 4:1-11)
THE SOURCES OF TEMPTATIONS
Temptation comes in many forms; but the three main sources of our temptations are:
1. The flesh-” The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?”
2. The devil-Genesis 3:1-10 (The tempting of Eve)
3. The world, which refers to the system of thinking that is against God. “
“And be not conformed to this world” (Romans 12:2)
Temptations can come upon us in a very subtle fashion to cause us to sin against God; or they can come suddenly with great strength. Are we prepared to face the temptations that will come our way?
THE RIGHT PREPARATION FOR TEMPTATIONS
Before any temptation strikes, we need to be prepared by means of our daily walk with God. These questions should help to see how prepared we are to face temptations that will come our way.
1. Is my whole heart seeking after God out of my love for Him? “With my whole heart have I sought thee:” (Psalm 119:10)
2. Is the Word of God implanted in my heart? ” Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.” (Psalm 119:11)
3. What brings the most delight in my life? “I delight to do thy will”
4. How is my prayer life? ” Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;” (Ephesians 6:18)
5. Am I in regular fellowship with other believers? “And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:24-25)
6. Have I laid aside every thing that hinders my Christian growth? “Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin that so easily besets us”. (Hebrews 12:1)