I am drowning in the midst of a storm. I feel alone. I don’t know where to go? What does the Word of God say: “The Lord is MY ROCK, and MY FORTRESS, and MY DELIVERER; MY GOD, MY STRENGTH, in whom I will trust; MY BUCKLER (shield), and the HORN OF MY SALVATION, and MY HIGH TOWER.” (Psalm 18:2)
Jesus reminded the disciples that in this life they would experience tribulation. We have all experienced tribulation. We try to resolve the situation. We try to cope. We try to ignore the storm; yet we feel like we are sinking deeper and deeper into the raging waters. David experienced many storms in his life. Where did he go for deliverance and relief? He went to “his God”. Likewise, we can go to our God regardless of how strong the storm.
1. We can go to Our God because He is our Rock. When a person is sinking into the water, they are looking for something solid on which to find their footing. We often stumble and fall because we don’t stand firmly upon our solid rock, the Lord God. Do you feel like you are wavering in every direction, then go to the Rock.
2. We can go to Our God because He is Our Fortress. A fortress is a place of refuge from the enemies we may have in this life. Many people talk about being hurt by others. Yes, others may try to hurt us, but we have a fortress to whom we can run. We don’t have to be hurt by others, we can go to the Lord God, Our Fortress.
3. We can go to Our God because He is Our Deliverer. The disciples were fearful in the midst of a terrible storm. They were without hope until they cried out to the Lord. The Lord stopped the storm. No matter how awful the storm, the Lord is ready and able to deliver us. No matter how strong the temptation the Lord will deliver us.
4. We can go to Our God because He is Our God. David knows that he has a personal relationship with the Lord God. He can go to His God at any time. When we know God, we can trust Him. We know that He loves us with an everlasting love. We know that He will never leave us nor forsake us.
5. We can go to Our God because He is Our Strength. David couldn’t handle his enemies in his own strength, but he knew the All-Powerful God. We can do nothing apart from God. As Paul stated: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13). We may get tired and want to quit, but God’s strength enables us to carry on.
6. We Can Go to Our God because He is our Shield. Satan throws his fiery darts of doubt, denial, guilt, temptation, discouragement, and rebellion against God. In ourselves, we have no defense against these darts; however God is Our Shield. He comes between us and the fiery darts of Satan. There is no safer place than behind God, Our Shield.
7. We can Go to Our God because He is Our Savior. Our salvation solves the greatest problem in life, which is how can a sinful person approach a Holy God. Jesus took our place upon the cross and paid for our sin. Through Him, we have eternal life. If God has taken care of our greatest problem in this life, why can’t we trust Him with the storms that pass through our lives?
8. We can Go to Our God because He is Our High Tower. We often see a bird flee into the sky as we approach it. The bird knows that there is safety in the heights. Likewise, our Lord places us in the heights to keep us away from the traps and snares of this life. The storms have little effect upon us when we are safe and secure in the Lord.
As a result of all that God is, David says: “In whom I will trust.” David knows the Greatness of God. He trusts God because he knows Him. Do we know our Great God. Yes, the storm may be strong, but we do have One to whom we can go. Will we?