Ruins tell the story of decay, neglect and destruction. Our spiritual lives can also face times of ruin and decay. We feel hopeless and in despair. The Prophet Jeremiah faced a time in his life when he was in the midst of the ruins of Jerusalem. Babylon had completely destroyed the city. All hope was gone. How did Jeremiah handle this hopeless condition? How can we handle our hopeless condition?
Jeremiah, in the midst of the ruins of Jerusalem, looks up to God. He says in Lamentations 3:21: “This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.” He knows in himself there are no answers: ” My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:” (Lam 3:18) However, he knows that his hope is in God alone.
When we are facing hopelessness in our lives, our only hope is in the Lord alone. We must take our eyes off the ruins around us and in us, and focus on the Lord. Jeremiah focuses on five attributes of God that brings great hope in his life in spite of the ruins around Him.
1. God is Merciful– “It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, ” (Lamentations 3:22) We find hope in His forgiveness, as we come to Him with a repentant heart.
2. God is Compassionate. “because his compassions fail not.” (Lam. 3:22b)
We find hope in his compassion. He does love us even in the midst of our hopeless situation.
3. God is Faithful– “They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness“. (Lamentations 3:23) We find hope in His faithfulness to keep all of His promises.
4. God is Omnipresent. (He is with me) ” The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.” Lamentations 3:24 We find hope in His presence. He walks with us in the midst of the ruins and the rebuilding thereof.
5. God is Good. “The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.” Lamentations 3:25 We find hope in the will of God, which is always for our good.
What will we do in the midst of our hopelessness? Will we stay defeated and discouraged or will we look up to our great and mighty God? Jeremiah discovered great hope in a hopeless situation and so can we!!